Subject: One hundred years ago
One hundred years ago. What a difference a century makes! Here are some of the
U.S. statistics for 1904:
- The average life expectancy in the US was 47 years.
- Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.
- Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.
- There were only 8,000 cars in the US and only 144 miles of paved roads. The
maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.
- The average wage was 22cents an hour.
- The average worker made between $200 and $400 per year.
- More than 95 percent of all births took place at home.
- Ninety percent of all US physicians had no college education.
- Sugar cost four cents a pound. Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.
- Most women only washed their hair once a month.
- The population of Las Vegas was 30.
- There were only 230 reported murders in the entire US.