1. Reboot your computer into the "Last Known Good Configuration"
a. You do this by rebooting and pressing either the F8 key, or the Ctrl key (I can't remember which)
2. Go to the Silicon Image website - http://www.siliconimage.com/support/index.aspx?pid=0&cid=0&a...
a. There are several dropdowns that ask for your particulars.
3. If you have an Aspire 5100 or 3100, or one from that series, you need Sil3112 - PCI to 2 port SATA150.
a. I have an Aspire 5100, so I am not 100% sure about the others.
4. In the other dropdowns, you want "Driver" and your OS.
5. Download the driver file and unzip it to a directory somewhere on you hard drive.
6. Go to device mananger, then to ATI 4379 Serial ATA Controller.
7. Right click, and Update Driver.
8. Go through the process, but update from file, and point the browser to the .inf file in the directory you unzipped the driver file into.
9. This will update the driver with the correct version.
10. Reboot your computer.
11. Once rebooted, go to Windows Update and hide the ATI 4379 Serial ATA Controller update.
12. If you have some other series of computer (Aspire 5346 or something, chances are you have the same controller.)
a. If you download the wrong driver and try to update with it, Windows will tell you it is the wrong one.